Saturday, August 4, 2007

PARENTHOOD, A HUMBLING EXPERIENCE




Hello everyone,
Since returning home from MI last Thursday I have spent the week getting Amber back on a routine. She has had to adjust to the higher altitude after being in the "low lands" of MI for 3 weeks, which has meant more painful gas and fussing. We are getting her used to sleeping in her small bed since I started the bad habit of letting her fall asleep in my arms (but she's so darn cute!). That is the only place she wants to be which means I can't get anything done, my arms and back kill, and it isn't teaching her to feel comfortable being on her own. Parenthood has been humbling for Ed and me both. Taking care of other kids is much different than your own. Things I knew years ago I had forgotten and things I don't know I am learning. It is easy to judge a frazzled mother that didn't restock diapers in the bag, but until you are a new mother you don't appreciate how you are always tired, have lost your short term memory and are very sensitive to other people's comments. I have a new found appreciation for single mothers. I am blessed that I have not had any depression or mood swings. To my friends that are ready to join this wonderful & rewarding group, please don't hesitate to call me with questions. We can share stories w/o judgment. It is still hard to comprehend that we have a precious little person who we will raise, but more so, who will raise us. Ed has been a huge source of help at night and when he travels I really miss him being there to pitch in. Amber is smiling, cooing and more active. At times she looks like she is going to burst out into a laugh but doesn't know how. I know Amber enjoyed her time in MI getting love & affection from my family and it was special to all be together. It's a beautiful day here and the fresh air will be good for all three of us as we enjoy an art show.
Have a great weekend everyone!

Julie

No comments: